Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 2-Coaxing Ourselves into Caring for Ourselves

Tootie is one of my dogs. She's a 6-pound chihuahua.
Tootie, 6-pound dynamo


Sometimes, when I walk early in the morning, getting Tootie out the door is like putting pantyhose on a guinea pig. She looks at me forlornly with those big goggle eyes as I pry her out of her warm, steamy little nest, as if to say,"Why do you hate me so?"

Once she's in her harness and coat (hey, she gets cold), she stands there shivering and quivering while we hold her leash so she doesn't bolt back upstairs and into our bed. Today, Jeff was putting her coat on her while I put my toe-shoes on, and I heard him coo reassuringly, "C'mon, Toots, it'll be fun."

She didn't think so while I pulled her like a stubborn donkey out the door.
No way, man. 


And, she resisted to the end of our driveway, around the corner, down the street, reluctantly following me and the two other pooches.

But then, she peed, got used to the chill of dawn, and suddenly pulled out in front of us, prancing and high-stepping. Sniffing, looking, listening. Darn it all if if Jeff wasn't right--that dog was having fun. 

However, I felt the same way as Tootie this morning at 4:55 when the alarm went off. The only thing that got me up was the fact that I have this blog and want to complete my goal of walking 365 days in a row. It ended up being fun for me, too, but until I heard Jeff coaxing Tootie, I was mentally resisting the walk, as well.

Funny how often we need to be coaxed into doing something that is oh, so good for us, yet never have to convince ourselves to shove three handfuls of Cheetos into our mouths. If it were reversed, our health would be better, for sure, and our butts not as wide. It isn't, though. We have to continually make the choice, every single minute, to do something that is helpful, not harmful to ourselves, our bodies, our minds, our spirits. And that's one of the gifts we've been given. Choice. You won't be perfect in your choices, but every choice is a chance to do something that is helpful to you.

I hope your walk is wonderful today!
Dani

2 comments:

  1. truth and more truth - you're killing me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vail,

      Love your comments!! Everyone always emails me comments, and I am grateful you post them on the blog! Good luck with your daily walks---keep reading and keep me posted!

      Delete