Friday, September 28, 2012

Day 136- The Whole-Body Jenga Game

Ever play Jenga?



You move, pull and release blocks that are stacked together, or aligned, and as you do, the stack becomes more and more unbalanced, with certain areas bearing loads that they really shouldn't be bearing, until the whole thing collapses in a worthless heap on the ground. 

Do you enjoy my not-very-sly, daily attempts at giving you metaphors to understand why proper alignment is an essential key to warding off pain, disease and general unhappiness?

It's one of my gifts. 



And now, I'm obsessed with my gluteus maximus. And gluteus medius. And piriformis. Oh, and my gluteus minimus. I'm already hard at work, cooking up metaphors that will make you take pause in your busy day and think, "Hmm, that Dani is some sort of genius...I never even would have thought about my ass as a slingshot, but boy, she sure has made THAT happen!"

Not everyone has their butt muscles in a continuous state of flex, butt I do. 

Once I realized it, that day in the tub when I tuned in and just felt my body and its connections, it has become my current focus. In my studies with the Restorative Exercise Institute, I've learned more than a person might think they would want to know about how our bodies actually work, but it's information that every BODY should know. It's been like getting the owner's manual to my machine, and learning how to work it very, very well. 

I have spent the last 48 hours tuned in to my rear and the effect it has ON MY ENTIRE BODY when those muscles tighten (their normal, but unwell state right now) and when I consciously let them go. Pelvis slides in to neutral, ribs drop, breath eases, funny popping noise happens in sacral area that then makes my head feel clearer and the skin on my scalp relax (I kid you not). 
I already look better, huh?

I've not achieved constant, healthy alignment, but during those moments I do, I understand how we can feel, and I will tell you, brothers and sisters:

You can feel really, really good. Just pay attention, and if you need some schooling on the miraculous and practical lever system that is your body, shoot me a line or ring me, and I'll help you start leafing through that owner's manual. 

To think this entire blog post came from my ass...

Luv, 
Dani












No comments:

Post a Comment