Sunday, September 9, 2012

Day 116 & Day 117-Fort Flagler Barefoot

Camping! At Fort Flagler! Last camping trip of the season, and it was oh-so-sweet!

Saturday, we enjoyed late summer weather as we strolled down one of the best beaches I know, on Marrowstone Point. The kids and dogs were happy...

and a sunny, flat driftwood bed called my name.

As I gazed up at this


while my fingers trailed in warm sand, this happened:


I totally zonked out, like an old lady! I fell asleep on driftwood! A crazy old beach lady!
Like the pedometer falling out of my pocket next to the giant hunting knife?

Hahahahahahahahaha! My dog, Tootie, woke me up by jumping on my belly and shoving her tongue 4 inches up my nostril. 

Fortunately, the pedometer has a lanyard that keeps me from losing it!


And that was yesterday.

Today's walk was an impromptu hike down a soft, sunny path that led from the old cannon bunkers at Fort Flagler to one of the searchlight stations. It was so soft, I took off my shoes and 2/3 of the family followed suit. They loved it, and I was so happy to share such an incredible experience with them and their feet. 

The other 1/3 took off once we hit the searchlight station, bolted willy-nilly down a sandy cliff and got stuck. As did the dogs that followed. The Huz, brave and Dadly as ever, climbed down and eventually hoisted everyone up. I helped a little, but the mother-in-me's sphincter was clenched too tight as I watched my baby boy flounder on the cliffs. All I really did was help hoist a scared poodle and repeatedly convince my 7-year old that she did not need to go down and rescue Daddy and Brother. 

What a great weekend! I hope yours was fantastic!

XOX, 
Dani

All wonderful photos taken by Jeff Hemmat, Awesome Husband Extraordinaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment