Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 6-Why the Rain Can't Be Beat for Walkin'

Did you know that walking in the rain can actually IMPROVE your mood and health?

Negative ions, Baby!

Yeah!

Quick ion primer:


Electromagnetic Frequencies or EMFs profoundly affect a person's biochemistry and they are found everywhere around us, in positive and negative form.

When you use a cell phone, turn on the television, use a computer, or a dryer to dry your clothes, florescent lights, etc., you are being exposed to positive ions (which are actually not “positive” for you).

Say what?! Yes, they affect your biochemical electrons and cause them to spin in an opposite direction. This is how oxidation occurs, and diseases begin to set in. Here's some facts:

Negative ions are beneficial to human body in four major ways:
Reprinted from "Economy Daily News" - January 30, 2002
  • Strengthen the functions of autonomic nerves
  • Reinforces collagen (tissues that are resilient and tension-related)
  • Improves the permeability of the cell's prototype plasma membranes (improves metabolism)
  • Strengthens the body's immune system



Cool. What? There's more?



"The action of the pounding surf creates negative air ions and we also see it immediately after spring thunderstorms when people report lightened moods," says ion researcher Michael Terman, PhD, of Columbia University in New York.

For my own research--totally NOT scientific--when I was a dog walker, I spent 2 years outside in the rain and NEVER got sick. 

When my son was younger, he suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder. Our wonderful pediatrician suggested we replace baths with showers. BOOM!

His SAD was G-O-N-E. 

Why do people sing in the shower? Think about it.  
  
Even Monkey Feet love walking in the rain!
It's okay. Stand tall, don't cringe as the drops fall on your sweet face, but meet the rain and enjoy the benefits it offers, free of charge.Look up...it's coming from Heaven, right?

Enjoy your walk today, 

Dani


7 comments:

  1. I was thinking about rain the other day, and wondering if I would have the fortitude to walk once the weather turns wet. This little tidbit will help! And your foot, OMG! I have just begun reading about soft soled shoes and this just cracked me up. So, people really wear these....go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wear them? I have 5 pair! Love them! Silly as they are, they are awesome.

    BTW--walking in the rain makes you feel oh, so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dani, heard your podcast today with Katy Bowman , and ithis blog was mentioned, so here I am. Thank you ! Question: Why would a shower be more beneficial than a bath for SAD ? Alice Dunne - Coquitalm, B.C. Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice! A shower is more beneficial because the water molecules are moving--like rain or the waves in the ocean. The negative air ions are the result of that moving water. Cool, huh? Although if you wanted to try it, you could splash around enthusiastically in your tub and do your own little research study. Just remember to clean up afterward.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alice! A shower is more beneficial because the water molecules are moving--like rain or the waves in the ocean. The negative air ions are the result of that moving water. Cool, huh? Although if you wanted to try it, you could splash around enthusiastically in your tub and do your own little research study. Just remember to clean up afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also a newcomer from your latest podcast, with that other lady.
    -ions may in part explain how I feel so much better after an ocean swim. When I start to feel out of sorts, I go for a beach walk & swim & am instantly cured. I sometimes get a bit depressed in our short winter, my first swim of the season washes away the cobwebs & I feel right again.
    Thank you for writing this blog, I'll take a walk before bingeing on the year :)
    My husband grew up in France being told rain will make you sick, the other day I was out gardening in the summer rain, it was high 30's C, he told me I'd catch a cold. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to this little old thing, so glad you're enjoying it! And I love that you like walking in the rain!

      Delete