Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 140-International Walk to School Month!

Did you know that October 2012 is International Walk to School Month? In the United States, the International Walk to School Day is tomorrow, October 3. 

I grew up in a small town, and was able to walk or bike to school for most of my school career. Unfortunately, we live about 10 miles from our school. If I want my kidlets to participate in tomorrow's event, I'll be getting them out of bed at 3 AM. Think they'll like that?

I do wish they could walk to school--if children don't walk enough, their musculoskeletal system does not develop properly. They need to walk. Just like you do. So, if you are fortunate enough to live near your school, please enjoy your daily walks together! Plus, there are no bus bullies to deal with!!

I'll leave you with some resources to investigate.

There are so many great sites to check out, I'll show you a few:


 biking photo

International Walk to School Month

This site directs you to the movement, supplies TONS of resources and ideas, and can link you to other countries' sites. It has editable press releases, maps, and event planning ideas. 



International Walk to School USA

A surprisingly rich resource! Find events in your area, see which states have more events, volunteer to be a coordinator--so many ideas! Washington has surprisingly few events planned.


and some more:

Let's Move!
US Government-funded site to encourage healthier kids. 

Safe Routes
National Center for Safe Routes to School.


Have fun!
Dani
 

3 comments:

  1. Does it count that I walked to the bus that would take us to school? That being said I must add that the bus stop was at the bottom of the 3rd steepest street in LA and we were at the top. Sort of, we were at the opposite end of the street that ended at the top of where we needed to walk down. So first a long trek to Baxter then down down down to the bus for a long ride across LA. That was the easy part. Getting home - not so much. Sometimes we would walk zig zag back and forth on the way back up that treacherous hill to give some relief to our poor straining muscles. I can look back now and appreciate the work out for what it was - one of many 'natural' exercises that kept me in athletic form as a youngster. Unfortunately this also brings back the memory of a young man in a car who stopped to show me his 'waterfall' as I was walking home one day. Creep. But I still have strong calves! And one of my favorite things to do with my granddaughter is to go for a walk (she's almost 4)- she loves it too and I hope our habit lasts for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikers about that "waterfall"! Creep. Yes, walking to bus does count. Amazing how when we're kids, walking isn't anything but what it is---just moving and getting somewhere. Good one on ya for promoting your granddaughter's habit. I'm glad you commented---I was getting worried about your well-being!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, for a 'stranger' you are very sweet - I take a little nose dive each Sept. but I have arrived safely on the other side!

      Delete