Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 144-Let's Go Safety Shopping! It'll be fun!

If you didn't read Day 143, please do that now. Then you'll be all jacked up about today's post, which is:

TOOLS YOU NEED TO WALK IN THE DARK


With enough good sense and lighting, you can walk in the dark safely and
self-confidently. This means many things. One, no more whining about not enough time in your day to get your workout in. You get up 30 minutes earlier and do it. Two, your workout is DONE before the sun comes up. That means that you feel better about yourself all day long, with nothing to dread and nothing to put off. You did it! Yay for you!

So, know that you're going to spend anywhere from $15-50 to get what you need, but then that's all. Inexpensive and adds up to 1-3 drop-in yoga classes you'll have to skip to buy your walking safety gear. You can deal with that. 

Here's what I use, and I bought it all a bit at a time:


Headlamp:
This one costs only $9 at Sears. That's a steal---I think I paid $30 10 years ago for mine. But I've used it for every early morning walk, power outage and camping trip for the last 10 years. Everyone should own one of these, and if you get one with two straps and an adjustable light like this one, you'll be happier for it. Mine even has a fog light adjustment, which comes in handy A LOT here on our foggy little island. 

Safety Vest:

You can either get a full vest, or just some reflective straps like the second one. That's what I have, and it's nicely adjustable and fits over all sorts of outerwear configurations. Some have lights that flash, or stay on continuously. These are not expensive--anywhere from $8-45, and mine was the first piece of walking equipment I bought. Again, have had the same one for 10 years, and will probably have it for 10 more at least. 


Additional lighting:

Well, you could carry a flashlight, but why? Get yourself a headlamp and some additional body lights, and your hands are free to catch fireflies, hold dog leashes, scratch your bum, wave to Stanley Tucci as you hurry off in the opposite direction, or swing in a natural propelling motion that will get your shoulders back in alignment and make you generally very happy. I swear. 

Here's some more of the body lights I wear:




An armband light. Fits snugly around your bicep and adds one more element of "Hey, see me?! Yeah, I thought so!" to your morning walk. Mine is not as fancy as this, probably cost me $8 and serves its purpose perfectly. 






This little doo-dad is called a ZipLit, costs only $4 at CampMor and hooks onto your zipper pull. Or fanny pack, or dog collars--whatever you wish! Get two and make groovy earrings from them!!

And, as mentioned before,

Pepper Spray! 

Costing anywhere from $5-25, you can get one that hooks onto a zipper, key chain or fits into a pocket. I'll tell you something: I have been sprayed with this stuff. It works! Too well! I'll never forget it! You can spray any critter or creeper with this one and you'll be laughing all the way home! Unless you accidentally get some in your eyes, in which case you'll be crying, but at least safe as you stumble back to your abode. 

So, there. I just took all your excuses away, and gave you 30 minutes in your day to walk and be healthy. You can thank me later. 

Love love love, 
Dani




No comments:

Post a Comment