Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 143-Walk the Year Mail Bag!



Hellooooo! 

Today I'm going to finally dig into that mail bag sitting in a heap in the corner of my office. I must get a few hundred Walk the Year letters a week, so now it's time to start answering those suckers! No more procrastinating.

Oh, here's a good one:

Dear Walk the Year, 

I can't find any time in my day to walk, and early morning seems to be the only time not booked by other things. But I don't like getting up and I don't like walking in the dark. Should I write off walking until the end of the Mayan calendar and then see if a miracle occurs that gives me more time in the day?

Sincerely, 
Not a Morning Person



Dear Not a Morning Person, 

After careful consideration, these seems to be a two-part problem in your letter. Or maybe three. I'll let you know in a minute. 

You can't find any time in your day to walk. Not during your commute, not during your lunch hour, not after dinner, not while you watch TV? I'm pausing here so you can really do an honest assessment of how you spend your time.
(....................)
Okay, if you really say so. Then I guess you could get up in the morning and walk. You say you're not a morning person, but that argument has never flown with me, and not just because I'm a morning person. 

We humans are diurnal, meaning we do our stuff during the day and sleep at night, mostly. However, just because you don't like getting up in the morning doesn't mean you can't. There's a big difference. If you want that new iPhone, you figure out a way to get it. If you want that trip to Vegas you've been thinking about, you figure it out. So figure this one out, too. 

You get up. You pull on some pants (please!) and you walk out the door. I have 5 jobs, a household to run, a family to feed, two kids to guide into decency, and 3 dogs to keep tabs on, so I get up and walk. And yes, lately it's been in the dark. 

Which leads me to part two. The dark. 

Yes, walking in the dark can be scary, but you have to look at why. Do you have an irrational fear of the dark? Really look at why you're wary. Granted, a few years back, for four months after I read "The Lovely Bones", my early morning walks were overshadowed by fears of someone abducting me and burying me in a hole, but then I realized that if I did see Stanley Tucci standing in a field with a bottle of Coke in his hand, waving me over, all I would have to do is pretend I didn't see him and hurry back home. 
Hey Hot Walking Babe! You thirsty? I dug a hole for you...


Eeesh! But really. Are you afraid of animals? Bring pepper spray. Afraid of not being seen? Wear lights and pay attention. Afraid of not seeing? Wear lights and pay attention. You need the right tools to get this job done, and that leads us to part three. Which will need to be continued tomorrow, because I have to get on with my day. 

TCB, 
Dani

PS. Notice in the litany of things I listed that I have to do during the day, I did not mention "and a husband to take care of"? Because The Huz is a miracle of modern male engineering who supports the above Herculean efforts of my days, takes care of me and would kick Stanley Tucci's smarmy, murderous ass in a heartbeat if I wanted. He shares the burdens, and I love him for it. 

PPS. Send your letters and questions to me! Even though there are 3000 letters spilling out over my floor, I would love to read yours!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment