Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 148--You Can Do What You Want

Well if you want to sing out, sing out!
And if you want to be free, be free...
'Cuz there's a million ways to be,
You know that there are!

You can do what you want!
The opportunity's on!
And if you find a new way!
You can do it today. 
You can make it all true,
or you can make it undo.

Those are some lines to my all-time favorite song. It's by Cat Stevens and it says everything you need to know about my attitude toward life. 

That being known, you can imagine that when I read something like this, posted by a fitness business:


I immediately try it, incensed that someone is telling me I am not capable of something. I defied it, and was able to circle my foot clockwise while drawing the number 6. I did not let my foot change direction. 

How? The picture is incorrect in stating there is nothing you can do about it. You are able to create new neural pathways that allow your body parts to function independently and well. Check it out:
At 1:47, you'll grow impressed with Xavier Rudd as he is doing three different things with this body--hands, feet, and mouth/lungs. The circular breathing he's doing in order to play the didjeridoo is very difficult to learn. And he's doing it WHILE he's dominating his drum kit, too. 

I bet he didn't start out that way. He probably had to train new neural pathways, don't ya think? 

Like you can?

Are you doing the finger exercises I showed you in Day 109?

Too busy?

With what? What are you doing with your hands while you wait in line, watch TV, read this blog post?

We saw Xavier Rudd in concert last night, and I have not been that impressed with a musician's practiced ability ever. Maybe it's the biomechanical science nerd in me. But watch him, and know that you CAN train your body to do what you think it can't.

Building neural pathways everyday, 
Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment