Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 64-Sling 'dat zombie slang!

Walking was quiet and sweet and early this morning. My thoughts were actually quite empty, but I did walk with intention. My intention? Pay ATTENTION to my gait. Gait?

gait/gāt/-noun A person's manner of walking; a particular way or manner of moving on foot. 

I've been working on adjusting my gait naturally, for the past 64 days of walking in a neutral heel, barefoot shoe. This has gradually changed my leg muscles, the way I step, and my gait. 

To a point. 

There's still more work to do to achieve alignment.

It turns out, I turn out. At least on one foot. Why? Because when I was little, my left foot was so turned in that they put me in a cast. It's lovely to see baby pictures of me in a leg cast--I'm sure my mother got dirty looks every time she went out with me. 

I was always told I had severe pronation, especially on my left foot--Woot! Christy Brown!--so I worked REALLY hard my entire life to not pronate. My left foot did not comply, but my right did. Too much. So, while it doesn't turn out severely, it turns out enough for an alignment geek like me. I spent yesterday watching it, and shifting it. 

More of the same today. Fortunately, I've got a great gig today to work on it. 
Today, I will be attending my son's scout camp as a helper parent all day. That means schlepping along with a gaggle of wee boys as they move from archery to the BB gun range to the cooking station, keeping them in line and occasionally flicking the back of one of their heads when they misbehave. And the name they give this role the parents play as we follow along? 

Walkers. 

How cool is that? I know, it's also slang for "zombie", but it's also what we were born to do, every day. 

Enjoy the day, 
Dani

 

No comments:

Post a Comment