Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 77- Be Here Now

The Huffington Post posted this story today about distracted walking and the dangers in which such ridiculousness results. 


People walk into fountains, fall onto train tracks (!), walk into traffic--not to mention blunder into other human beings. I get mightily annoyed when some nitwit is blabbing or texting and crashes into me, or otherwise blocks my path with their thoughtless behavior. 

Because that's what it is. 

We humans have many lovable qualities, and others that are perpetually dysfunctional. One of our little sillies is that it's challenging for many of us to live in the present. We're always fretting about the future or dwelling on mistakes and slights of the past, but it's a real effort to be mindful and present. 


Add in our beloved gadgets, and it's practically hopeless. 


When I see someone walking and texting or talking on their phone, I feel sorry for them. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're getting exercise and fresh air, but they are also missing out on the mind-clearing/thought-provoking benefits of just walking. This "multi-tasking" isn't really making them more efficient; rather, it's making them deficient. 


Being mindful and present is something we can constantly strive toward. Adding a glowing rectangle in front of your face is detrimental to mindfulness. I despise television, but put me in a hotel room with cable, and I'm worthless as tits on a boar. I can't help being sucked into the glowing rectangles and squares, so I try and avoid them as much as possible. 


Had I had one shining in my face on my walk this lovely, sweet-smelling morning, I would not have seen the pileated woodpecker swoop in front of me and laugh. Since I was present, I was not gazing at my iPhone, and so did not take a picture. But, he looked like this:
I'm pretty sure he was laughing with me, not at me.

I didn't need a photo or video because I saw him dance and flap, and that was better for me. I can't tell you how many school functions I've been at where everyone's gazing into their viewfinders and not actually watching their kids perform. I'd rather be there while it's happening. 

So, walk and text? Why? Walk and talk? Save it if you've got real, live company, but otherwise, it's OKAY to be alone with your thoughts, or even to be empty-headed and enjoy the crazed cackle of red-headed winged wonders. 

Ain't nothing wrong with that. 

XO, 
Dani
 











 

No comments:

Post a Comment