Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 212-Let go, let go, let go, let go!

I know some things. 

One thing I know for sure:

If you want to change, you have to work hard at it. 

Another thing I know?

If you want to change, you have to be fully open to your faults, mistakes and little ignorances. Is that a word?

I went and saw a healer/bodyworker yesterday for a problem with my elbow that I was unable to handle on my own. 

He had me do a lot of things, not many of them with my elbow. However, the magic things he did with my body made the elbow better. Yay!

But he noticed something about my gait, something I instinctively knew was not right but was scared to change. He had no problem pointing it out, so I decided to be open and accept it.

And he was totally right. He said I have an athletic gait, but do not move my stomach when I walk. My psoas is a tight-ass. I know why. This is from years of training to protect my core following longer years of back pain. But in my effort to lock-down and protect, I disconnected.  Better to not move it at all and stay pain-free than risk anything, right?

So he spent some time with me, helping me connect a wee bit (it's big work, can't be done in 5 minutes.) and sent me on my way. 
Say it with me...soh-az.

I spent this morning's walk trying to very hard to be in my core, letting my psoas release and letting my (gasp!) belly move while I moved. 

Whoa. Dude. 

So, now that I've trained Mrs. Buttcheeks to chill out over the last 3 months,
it's time to focus my Pygmalion efforts on Little Miss Psoas, and her friend and mine, Ma Belly. 


Here's one more thing I know:
If you want to do something, you will. 

What do you want to do today?

Yours in practiced relaxation, 
Dani

 

2 comments:

  1. If my belly still looked like your picture it would be much easier to let it go. When my Sister, who takes Katie's classes, explained about how important it was to walk without holding my stomach in it made me realize I have been doing that my whole life. Always, for as long as I can remember. Another unhealthy little vanity habit, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letting go is scary, but fun. My belly is NOT pretty--at all. So, I get it. But I already feel better since practicing letting it move when I walk. Baby steps, no?

    ReplyDelete