Thursday, December 27, 2012

Day 226- S.M.A.R.T.


Many people, at this time of year, begin to set goals (or resolutions) to better their lives. 

How do you approach your goals? 

Me? Pretty vaguely. 

I want to get fit. 
I want to lose weight. 

In fact, this blog was the most specific and measurable goal I'd ever set for myself. I want to walk 365 days in a row. It was smart. Or SMART.


S.M.A.R.T.

That's how we can set goals and achieve them. It's old-school, standard business goal-setting, but it works. 

Specific
  Measurable
 Attainable
Realistic
            Timely (or time-bound)

I want to get fit. Okay, that's vague. What about...I want to be able to do two pull-ups by the end of January?

Okay, specific!

Measurable. Well, that's easy. Either I am able to do them or I'm not. 

Attainable. Do I have the time to devote to working on that goal? Do I have the equipment? At least one arm?

Realistic. Am I 600 pounds? Probably not gonna get there by January. Gotta be realistic. Maybe at the end of 2013? 

Timely. By when is this goal expected to be achieved? End of January. Badda bing, badda boom. 

So, let's think about approaching our goals in this way, and see where it takes us. 

Ta, 
Dani
 

No comments:

Post a Comment