Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 290- Emerald City Comicon, Baby!


That's right, today my walking (aside from the rainy miles I've done with my dogs this morning) will lead me, nay, US, to the Emerald City Comicon. 

What's this, you say in your smarty pants head? Comicon, you ask? (I know you're a smarty pants, because you read me every day.)

Well... The Emerald City Comicon, or ECCC, is the largest comic book and pop culture convention in the Pacific Northwest. I'm not a huge comic book fan, but I do love me some pop culture, especially when it involves my people--Nerds. 

My mom always told me that the nerds in school would end up being the good guys. I knew they were the good guys then, but she was right. They are.

Case in point: At last year's ECCC (my first), the Washington State Convention Center was packed shoulder to shoulder. Yet, for every person that bumped into me or I bumped into, there was an "Excuse me" exchanged. 

If I'm going to be stuck shoulder to shoulder in a herd, please make it a herd of nerdy, nice folks. 

And you would not BELIEVE who is going to be there this year:Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Lando Calrissian, Batman and Robin (the original!), Doc Brown (Back to the Future), Chekov (Star Trek), Prince Humperdink (Princess Bride), and Starbuck (the original Battlestar Gallactica). Princess Leia was supposed to be there, but she's got, um, troubles

I know! I'm geeking out, but unfortunately, the only way we'll get close to any of them is to be stinky rich, since you have to pay for every autograph/photo at their celebrity tables. Unless the kids and I can sneak into the celebrity bathroom area?

Aside from thousands of nerds in one spot, the other great part of Comicon is that people dress up as characters they love. This is called "Cosplay". As someone who never misses a chance to put on a costume, I dig that there are other grown-ups walking around in costumes. Without embarrassment or shame. 



So cool! 

The only sad part of today is that 4th Member of Team Hemmat is in another state, waiting for us to head to the mountains. We'll buy him something cool and we'll miss him.

So, enjoy your day! I'll enjoy mine. 

May the Force Be With You, 
Dani











the largest comic book and pop culture convention in the pacific northwest! - See more at: http://www.emeraldcitycomicon.com/#sthash.0vwkFihe.dpuf
the largest comic book and pop culture convention in the pacific northwest! - See more at: http://www.emeraldcitycomicon.com/#sthash.0vwkFihe.dpuf

2 comments:

  1. I am so lazy sometimes I wish you had a 'like' button I could simply click when one of your posts makes me smile. And, since they usually do make me smile I am making the effort to actually type a few sentences to say how wonderfully I think you think. Because you do have a rather great perspective, and I appreciate that you take the time to share it with 'us'. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, Vail, your comments make me feel warm and squishy on the inside. Why on earth would I have a like button when I can make you type such lovely things now and again??

      Delete