Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Day 295- The Mouse That Roared, Optimistically

I'm going to tell you something that only The Huz knows about me:

I think I can accomplish anything. 


I am blindly optimistic. If I need to sew a costume, I think it will take me 3 hours. Need to clean the garage in an afternoon? No problem. To-Do List long as my arm? I got it handled, just relax. 

I'm like those 5-year olds who tie a towel around their neck and try and fly off the porch--I'm positive it'll work out.

I am in a continual state of "I can do that."

Even when I can't. I am Miss Can-Do, even when it ain't gonna happen. Now, some might find this annoying. I know I do. 

But it seems that I cannot help it.  I approach everything with a mindset of success. What's up with that?

Here's a typical and frequent conversation in our house:

Me: Hunh. I'm sorry, I really thought I'd have that done by now. I worked hard.

Huz: It's okay. You always do this. You take on too much in too little time. 

Me: But, I really thought I could...

It's like I was made without a "Or Can I?" button. However, I was thinking about it yesterday, as I stood amongst my unclean, unfinished garage project



and I got really, really glad that I am foolishly optimistic. 

Otherwise, I'd never start a thing. And where would that leave me? The world is an overwhelming place. There are big things, big problems, big ideas--sometimes a little mouse just wants to stay in her hidey-hole. 

I wouldn't have started this frackin' blog project if I hadn't have thought I could. But I did. And I wouldn't have agreed to months of solo-parenting if I didn't think I could do it. Or getting a house ready to sell by myself. And it IS taking on a lot. 


But I really think I can.

Pulling...up...self...by...bootstraps, 
Dani





2 comments:

  1. This puts me in mind of one of my favorite quotes from Shakespeare in Love (1998)

    Mr. Fennyman, allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster.

    So what do we do?

    Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.

    How?

    I don't know. It's a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
    Willie Nelson

    Great Blog today, I am so impressed with your spirit. Mom & Willie

    ReplyDelete