Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 297-What is the Sound of One Sole Flapping?

In 296 days of walking, I have never once worn headphones to listen to something. 

No, I like to be present, listening to rain, birds, coyotes...okay, that's not entirely true. I don't tune out with headphones because I walk in the dark and want to hear any approaching sharp-toothed, murderous clowns or thick-fingered fog monsters. 

Better safe than sorry, no?
However, today I walked in the daylight and wore headphones. I wanted to listen to a guided "walking meditation" and it was actually very educational. 

This came about after I spoke with a fellow writer and walking aficionado the other day in the frozen meat section of the grocery store. I don't know why you need to know the location, but it sounded intriguing. 

We were discussing meditation, and I mentioned how that was one of my goals in this next year, once I knocked the whole "WalkTheYear" thingy off my to-do list. 

She offered that walking is its own sort of meditation. Well, she's right, I guess, to a degree. Sometimes, my mind is present and empty, but many times, the Monkey Mind in me takes over and keeps my cranium rockin' 'til I walk back in the door. 

Anyway, I have a lot to learn about meditation, so I thought I'd spend 99-cents and buy an app that might assist me in my education. Actually, I got several guided meditation apps (FREE!), but there was only one walking app that looked cool. 


I did it today, since I didn't have to be wary of clowns or monsters, and I can recommend it. There were three options--one to tune in to your body, one to just be present, and one to enhance the senses. I did the body thing since I'm currently now working on relaxing my freakin' quadriceps--yeah, I know. First the butt, then the belly, now the thighs. Will I ever let is all go? I'm getting there! 41 years of tension takes a while to completely unwind, but once you learn to it feels oh, so good.

I'm sure I'll do it again, since it did manage to quiet my Monkey Mind and keep me focused. 

Of course, once I do it enough, I'm sure I'll learn to absorb the application into my hard drive, like a cool robot-girl, and just do it on my own, without electronic assistance. 


High-ranking Most Hated TV Sidekick, second to Chaka Monkey.



BeedeeBeeDeep, 
Dani






 

No comments:

Post a Comment