Thursday, March 14, 2013

Day 303-With Friends Like These, Who Need Enemies?

Your body is like your best friend, or devoted loved one.

It's always there for you. You need to pull an all-nighter? It'll get you through. Need to birth a baby? It's got you covered. 

Fight cancer? It can help with that, too. 

In fact, we're all like Wolverine, the hot member of the X-Men with the sah-weet mutton chops who can heal in minutes. We just don't have blades coming out of our knuckles AND it takes us a bit longer. 


No, no, no, not THAT one!
Yes, please.


But trust me, our bodies WANT to be well. They want to be functioning and whole. 

However, we use, abuse and ignore, and then our bodies fall apart and we get pissed. Like tantrum-throwing toddlers. Trust me, I'm as guilty as you are. You ARE guilty of this, no? 'Cuz I don't want to be alone on this.

I have learned that even more than knowledge about how a body works, having awareness of your body is more important. 

Being in touch. Being in your body. With yourself. Listening. 

Paying attention. 

In the past, with the incredible load I'm dealing with during this move/husbandly absence/house sale, my back would've been in a hitch long ago. I would've ignored all signs of tension and misalignment until my body gave me the finger and took sick leave without permission. 

But now, I'm more aligned, and I pay attention to tension that can pull my body out of whack. I catch it quicker and I'm on it, letting it go, taking a few seconds to realign and make myself look more like this:
Except with more skin and hair, minus the rod up my sphincter.
 

I hear phrases like "betrayed by their bodies" and I used to believe them. No longer. I realize that these functional machines we've been given to walk around the earth in are our partners--lifelong partners without whom we are screwed, my friend. 

Stop, listen, be, 
Dani


1 comment:

  1. No Dani, you're hardly alone. More often than not I feel like the "betrayer" when all my body asks is to be heard, not ignored.

    Thanks for your posts. I'm inspired to try walking again which I've avoided since major knee pain.

    Learning great stuff too....~Luci

    ReplyDelete