Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day 308-Know Where the Release Valve is Located



During high-stress times, it's important to have release valves that actually help you. 

That means exercise, hobbies or meditation. Laughter, movies, or cuddles. 

It does not mean food or alcohol. 

I was talking to a friend who is married to a stress-eater, and she noted that it was either gonna be eating or boozing that her spouse would participate in to deal with his stress.

I've been in both places and I know from experience that stuffing your face or numbing yourself only results in delays, not solutions. 

That is why I am grateful, in this time of WTF WTF WTF!!!!! (selling our home, studying for my certifications and having The Huz gone again), that I have walking to calm the waves and quiet the wind. It's my fail safe.

Take one minute, and write down three things that you have in your tool kit that can help you in these times of overload and stressful situations. If you regularly go to these solutions, pat yourself on the back for having healthy escape valves. 

If you don't regularly use these things and you instead stuff your emotions down with booze or Oreos, then keep this list in your wallet, your purse, in your desk drawer or on your wall. When the freakouts start to climb your legs, refer to that list and do one or more of those things immediately. 

You deserve the route that will keep you safe and sane. 

Om, 
Dani

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I think I should add that mantra to the end of (what should be)my daily gratitudes. "I deserve safe and sane." Thanks Dani*

    ReplyDelete