Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day 100. No kidding.

Day 100? 100 days in a row--of walking? 

Cool. Way cool. 

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the folks who've shown the love, thank my dogs for being willing, my friends for reading my posts, my shoes for being silly-looking, yet oh-so-good for my body, and my family for putting up with me hogging the computer every morning so that I can blog about my journey. 

Also, I'd like to give someone a smack-down. We'll call it The Hundredth Day Smackdown. 

A content mill writer at About.com posted a story about minimalist footwear and the troubles it can cause. Sadly, these are the stories that get picked up by Yahoo and spread all over the gosh-darn Intrawebs. 

The writer mentions no anatomy or reasoning, yet claims after one walk in minimalist shoes, she got "arthritic knee twinges". She was sending them back to the store immediately.

Well, Ms. I-Like-Write-About-Things-I-Only-Know-A-Little-Bit-About, please be more responsible in your work. You are not writing a goofy little blog (like me), but something that a lot of folks are going to read. You need to be more journalistic in your approach, showing both sides of the argument. Yes, they can cause problems for people that have been strutting around in heeled shoes and then take off at full tilt in barefoot shoes. Any time alignment is shifted, change happens and it's not always comfortable at first. Let that be known to all.

Yes, I feel strongly about walking as nature intended. I've also got more than one walk in Monkey-Toe Shoes under my belt. 

I've got 100-freakin' days in a row in my Monkey Toe Shoes and I'VE NEVER FELT BETTER IN MY LIFE. Foot problems? Nope. Knee problems. Nope. Did I have them before? Yup.

So, there's your scientific proof. I'm expecting a phone call any minute from Vibram Five Fingers, asking me to be their spokesperson. 

I'll let you know when they call, 
Dani
 

1 comment:

  1. I used to wear orthotics for a collapsed metatarsal arch (a part of my body I didn't know existed before I had pain so crippling I couldn't walk even half a block).

    I have been in vibrams for over 2 years now, and the only time I've had a lot of difficulty was when I developed a vascular tumor after not resting enough while recovering from a nasty turf toe. I LOVE my vibrams. And I love going barefoot even more!

    Congrats on your 100 days. I hope to join you in your goal for walking every day of the year soon.

    ReplyDelete