Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 87- A Wander to Ponder

I first heard about walking vacations three years ago from a woman in my karate class named Sully. She had just returned from a month of walking across Ireland. 

I was drawn in immediately. Not even a regular walker--just a few times a week--but I was fascinated by the thought of being ground level in a foreign land for an extended period of time. It sounded so rich, so intimate, so real. 

I think about those vacations every once in a while. More so since I've been on my quest. 

Would you do this? 

I am drooling at the thought of it. Your lodging and meals are included, and you can either walk in a small group (10-16 people) or amble off on your own, depending on what sort of tour you choose. There are also plenty of other neato activities, like wine and ale tastings, cooking classes, archery, ballooning, antique shopping (although, who is going to carry your stuff??)--you get the picture. 

You can choose easy, moderate or challenging walks, walking 3 -7 hours a day. Imagine walking through the Cornish countryside, 
                           

gazing at castles and rolling hills, 
                                       

and then ending your day with a warm meal and a tankard of ale in an Olde English Pub. Fall asleep like a worn-out bear cub and rest up for another day of adventure? 

Count me in. 

There are tours all over the world--including the U.S. 




France, 

                  


Italy, 


                    

NEW ZEALAND!
                      


Check out this site--The Wayfarers--there are many, many walking tour companies, but this one seems top-notch, is inclusive and they have a great brochure you can download. 

And then you can spend your Friday daydreaming about a vacation that would truly be out of the ordinary, and a gift, indeed. 


Mmmm, 
Dani








2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful addition to my honey do list! You always have the best things to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! They're expensive! In Holland we have an organisation called SNP that does nature-related vacations for a much more reasonable price. They do walking and biking vacations and take your bags from one night's stay to the next. I'd love to do one when the kids are bigger (walking, though my husband would probably hate it and prefer one of the biking ones. He's so Dutch. He also has terrible posture and is totally uninterested in my alignment/footwear discoveries. Sigh.) Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete