Friday, August 31, 2012

Day 108-Prepare to be challenged!

Brrrr...this morning was jacket weather! I guess it's getting to be that time again. No more t-shirt walks for me for awhile, until October when we head to Mexico!

Putting on my jacket this morning reminded me of something I wanted to write about. It's something I often bring up with my clients and hula hoop students, but I'd like to put the bug in your ear and have you perhaps consider my pitch. 

Repetitive motion injuries. Makes you think of carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. Right? For some jobs, it's a given that you'll develop a repetitive motion injury. 
Sassy Milk-n-Pepsi-Drinkin' Factory Workers Get It...



Jewelers Get It...

Even Desk Dweebs and Writers Like Me Get It!


Even our hobbies can give us repetitive motion injuries. 



A repetitive motion injury is an injury to a part of the body that is caused by performing the same motion over and over again, thereby straining the body part. Okay, are you with me?

You brush your teeth, right? Hope so! Well, do you only do it with your dominant hand? Say, your right hand if you're a Rightie? 

Hold your arm up right now, pretending that you're brushing your teeth. Go through the motion of brushing. 

So, every morning and night, you are using your right (or left!) arm and hand in the same motion over and over. 

What do you imagine it does to your body? 

Well, since it's no real strain, you're not straining your muscles or joints. Unless you're out of alignment. But you ARE shortening the muscles in your arm when you brush. Just like lifting weights. You wouldn't go to the gym for 40 years and only do this with your right arm, would you?

What would that do to your body? Really throw you out of whack, huh?

Well, I challenge you to think about switching sides. (tee hee!) No, really, I want you to try very hard to brush with your dominant hand in the morning, and your other hand in the evening. 

Taking it a step further and employ your non-dominant hand in every possible situation. Stir the soup. Brush your hair. Open the car door. Put on eyeliner. Wipe your bottom. 

Yes, I said that. Try wiping your arse with your non-dominant hand. Not so cool now, are you? Butt, don't give up. Look at this as an opportunity to grow, to form new synapses in your brain and to BALANCE out your body. 

Don't even try the "I can't!" when it comes to wiping your rear with your weaker hand. Puh-lease. What would you do if you had your dominant hand in a cast? Call me? I don't think so. You'd figure it out. So figure it out now. Be proactive, not reactive.

These little tips I give you because I care? They cost you nothing, but the benefits are worth so much to you! You are using and stretching some parts of you, while giving other parts a well-deserved break. Studies show that these sorts of sensory challenges help build up those neural pathways, thereby helping stave off age-related decline--like Alzheimer's. 

I ask you, why wouldn't you?

Wash your hands well,
Dani

1 comment:

  1. Moderation, the bane of my existence! Two biggies to add to the list are rotating laundry and dishes. And shaving left handed - you really get to concentrate and feel the muscles you use as you try to work with care and accuracy! One more thing - keep a packet of 'wet ones' in the bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete