Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 93-Berry My Heart at Aligned Knee

Today was a special treat walk--longer than usual and in a place I love--Fort Ward Park. It was early morning, but I had the delightful experience of running into a treasured friend as she was walking the other direction. I saw an eagle, lots of chickarees (tiny chipmunk-like things) and the Loch Ness Monster. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what was. 

Yesterday, we went berry picking. Okay, I mean, foraging. Yeah, yeah, you say picking, but I just wrote an article on foraging, so I'm holding the party line. 
        
Anyway, we were foraging for blackberries, and I noticed something. There are clumps of green and ripe berries together--the sun is spotty in the brambles and berries only ripen with ample solar encouragement.  When I'd reach in to pluck the ripe little prizes, the bramble branches would straighten up a little. That would give me access to even more berries as the clump shifted positions. The more I relieved the bush of its burden, the straighter it became, producing sweeter treats. And, of course I'd get scraped and poked, but nothing is without a cost.
                             
Sort of like improving your health through better alignment. 

You work on changing something--say, the way you hold your foot in alignment. At first, it may aggravate you. Your leg muscles are saying WTF? Why are you doing this to me? I don't like it. 

But then they start to get the picture. They learn that this is the way they are happiest. Their most natural position. So they relax, quit kvetching, and your leg feels different. Better different. This causes sort of a chain reaction. Your leg feels better, and just like giggles in church, that feeling of correct alignment is infectious. Your hip begins to understand that the way you've been neglecting is isn't right, and it asks for help, too. So you change the way you're using your hips. And you straighten up or align a little more, giving your blood and lymph clearer pathways and your muscles the ability to function as intended. 
Better alignment = better health. 
                             
More berries for everyone, 
Dani

 

No comments:

Post a Comment