Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 104. Seasons change, so do walks





We had joy, we had fun
We had seasons in the sun
But the hills that we climbed
Were just seasons out of time



This unbelievably sappy Terry Jacks' song used to make me cry when I was four, and you may not buy it, but my husband and I quote the chorus at least 15 times a year. Apparently, it made an impression on us both as kids. 


It meandered through my head as I walked this morning. The light is changing--you can see Fall standing, waiting in the wings with her vibrant cloak pulled close in anticipation. 

Fall light is my favorite. It has been since I was a kid and cried to sappy songs. Also, there was that song "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Hahah!" that used to make me cry, but for different reasons. 

So, Fall. Air, light, color--what's not to love. As the seasons change, so do our walks, and not just aesthetically. More layers, darker mornings, wetter pathways. 

For some of us, school begins and our walking possibilities open up. Mine sure will. I plan on taking some longer hikes, in different places while my kids are gettin' some book-learnin' in. It'll be time to take advantage of that flexibility, and I look forward to it. 

For those of you who live in Kitsap County, check out this page of 70 walks and hikes in our neck of the woods. I'm drooling over the thought of some of them--don't the look fun? 

If you don't live in Kitsap, no worries! Just check out your local area by using the magic of Google and the Intrawebs. Oh, the possibilities!

Enjoy the light, 
Dani


No comments:

Post a Comment