Friday, August 24, 2012

Day 101, and we've only just begun!

I cut off my hair yesterday.
 
What prompted that, you might wonder? Well, a while back, I came across some photos of me from about 15 years ago.  My hair was short. Looking at the pics, the fleeting thought of “I wonder if I could do that again?” came, immediately followed by “Oh, no! I don’t think I could! Who would I be without my hair?”

 
And that clinched it for me. I made the decision to lop it off. If I was attached to something like that, then it seemed essential that I let it go.



 
Hanging on to things that we believe define us is a somewhat treacherous path to walk down.
 
My hair does not define me. But I almost let it.
 
It’s the same thing with beliefs we have about ourselves. I was bad at math in school. I never could do a cartwheel. I don’t think I could speak up in a meeting again-it didn't go so well last time. I’ve never been able to _______________.
 
We form these beliefs about ourselves and our capabilities, based on failed attempts or less-than-perfect results--these mindsets about how things are, and we rarely challenge them once we’re holding them tight in our hands. We carry them along with us, and they really do affect nearly everything about our lives. 
 
But they do not define us.
 
We just think they do.
 
I never liked the saying “Grab life by the balls.” That’s just gross—and a little more intimidating than we need to be, don’t you think?
 
Instead, just grab life. Embrace it. Stretch, reach and try and when you screw up, fail or fall short, look at it simply as a chance to work on something that will get you closer to your goal.
 
Never let your failures or mistakes define you. It’s self-limiting, and you deserve better than that. 


Don't we all?
Dani

1 comment: