Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 92- One, two, buckle my shoe. My healthy shoe.

You remember that bit that Eddie Murphy did in his first movie, Delirious? About his mother throwing her shoe at him and his brothers for disciplinary purposes? 

I won't post the video here, because it's chock full o' swears, but look it up---it's funny. 

I don't throw my shoes, nor anything else, at my kids, but I do think about shoes. A lot. 

See, summer isn't endless, and I can't wear my monkey toe shoes and sandals all year long here in the Pacific Northwest. I've got to think about covering up my tootsies while still remaining in alignment and not torturing my feet. 

Yes, there are always Earth shoes. I've got several pair and love them, but they aren't always the look I'm going for. 
                           
And there are some seriously cute ballet flats out there, as long as your toes can move, for Pete's sake. 

                                       
I'm a casual girl. Hopelessly casual, in fact. For me, dressing up is like rubbing sandpaper across my buttocks. I'm no Fancy Nancy. 

So while I've got my Earth shoes for "dressing up", I want shoes for casual Friday. And Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. 

On Sunday, I have to look fairly respectable since I teach Sunday school at our synagogue. That's when the Earth shoes will come out.

But for every other day---it's going to be: 






And:

and even:
                                                

I know, right?

I'm sure the sphincters of every fashion-minded person reading this are sucked up tighter than Tutankhamun's skin, but I can't help it. I've been wearing comfortable shoes for most of my life, and now that I know so much more about wellness and alignment and how badly we're messing ourselves up with our shoes and daily habits, well...I don't just want comfortable shoes any longer. 

I want comfortable AND healthy. 

When I was a teenage skate punk, I lusted after low-top Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars, but falsely believed that because I had "high-arches", I needed shoes with arch support. So I never had a pair. 

Sniff. 

Last year, I threw caution to the wind and got some, and ended up loving loving loving them. 

I'll probably buck up and buy a pair of comfy ballet flats, as well. You know, in case I get invited to the Oscars. 

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, 
Dani


3 comments:

  1. Don't forget about Earth Glides at least while they are still making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I used to have some and wore them thin! Those were great! Pricey, but great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hopelessly in love with my Vivobarefoots. They're bright blue and fabulously thin and flat. I've just read that they've been 'improved' for this season and I'm kind of dreading what that might mean. I hope I'll still like the new ones, because I can't imagine wearing anything else!

    ReplyDelete