Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 81--Hot Day in the Sun

Today I walked with my family, late morning, after breakfast. We stopped at a garage sale and scored some good stuff, and asked the nice old garage sale lady to hold our purchases while we continued on the walk.

It is h-o-t.

Hot.

I grew up in this sort of heat, but am no longer acclimated to it. I see the virtue of my early morning walks on days like today, and will surely do that tomorrow. I just didn't have the gumption to walk very far in this heat. The dogs' mouths were hanging open, my mouth was hanging open, and the kids were melting.

We've still got it way better than many places in the country, but we still need to be aware of some things.

Drink lots of water today, remember not to put your poochies in the car (leave them at home, please!) and lay low in the middle of the day. You can still be outside for your walk, but get up a little earlier or walk after dinner. Find a green place to walk in, and try and keep your critters off the pavement--remember that they are much closer to that heat-radiating asphalt that we are, and it is miserable down there near the street. Check this out:

Oh, and don't even bother watering your lawn today--you're only wasting precious water. Save it for a nice, cooling shower instead.

Apparently, I get very boring in intense heat. We'll try again tomorrow. Early.

Pant, pant-
Dani


1 comment:

  1. Too true... walked my pug on the still-damp grass of a beautiful waterfront park in Bremerton around lunchtime, but it was still too hot for him. (And me!) I'm thinking a lap around Grand Forest just before the sun goes down... stay cool!

    ReplyDelete