Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day 175-Winter is Coming, so Be Here Now

WARNING: Geek Alert!!

If Eddard Stark had not had a spear rammed through his thigh nor later been unjustly beheaded by a Lannister, my bet is that he would've started a walking group around King's Landing once he got Cersei and Joffrey under control. 

He was just that kind of guy. 

And here's what started me thinking about Ned Stark. 


A beautiful fall walk, in the light of day! 

Wow.

Fall is really my favorite season, for so many reasons. One reason? It's a perfect reminder. No, not a reminder that Winter Is Coming, but that things change, and it's important to pay attention to them as they happen. 

You can't enjoy Autumn in March, so you enjoy it NOW. 


Which leads me to the second part, and the real point of today's post. 

Be Here Now. 

I attempted to read this book as a cute lil' know-nuthin' hippie chick in high school. I think it was required attempted reading for all hippies, so I tried. It was 100% over my head. Didn't get one damn thing about Ram Dass's meanderings.

Except the title. Somehow that has always stuck with me. And, now that I'm older, I realize, that was really all I needed to get from that book. 

Be Here Now. 

If you're like me and the other 99.987% of Americans, you have challenges with living in the moment. You may not even really understand what that feels like, if you've never allowed yourself to do it. 

It is, however, worth learning.  Don't worry, don't analyze, don't plan. Just be.

But since it is so challenging, you may need reminders to help keep you on track. To just stop, whenever and wherever you are in your day, and be present. Whether it's good or bad, cozy or uncomfortable, be present.

What sort of reminders? Well, whatever works for you. Post-it notes, smartphone alarms, singing telegrams spaced throughout the day (this last one gets pricey). I love reminders to help pull me back toward my intentions. My favorite reminder? 

Significant jewelry. It makes total sense, since you wear it and it's on you most of the time. It can be anything you like, really--a ring, a bracelet, a necklace. Here's my latest favorite:

 
These are mala beads. Some folks call them prayer beads, but they are really used in meditation, to help you keep on track as you meditate. Mine are pretty and wearing them reminds me to do two things:

Be Here Now & Pay Attention to Your Alignment/Body. 

Which is really one and the same. A piece of jewelry of your choosing is nice, effective, and looks way better than this: 
Post-It Notes for the stylish Nerdlet!
So, yes, Winter is Coming, but Be Here Now. It's worth your time and effort.


Love, 
Dani
 

No comments:

Post a Comment