Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 234-Fast, Cheap or Good--Pick Two.

For those of you interested in better health, you well know that it can be a full-time job. 

Let's see...30-60 minutes per day of Restorative Exercise, yoga, Zumba, Feldenkrais,weights, cardio...whatever you choose. 

30-90 minutes of walking.

30 minutes of stretching and self-myofascial release. 

60-90 minutes of planning and preparing decent, healthy foods, tending your sprout garden, overseeing your kombucha brewing operation and juicing your veggies. 

7-8 hours of sleep. 

For those that enjoy meditation, or want to incorporate it, add another 15-60 minutes for that in your day. 


Facial exercises? 15 minutes. 
Tibetan eye exercises? Another 10-15.



Wow. That's a lot of time. 

A lot a lot of time. 

Many of us have jobs, spouses, children, leaves that need raking and dog poop that needs scooping. 

How can we do this all?

I've got a little secret. 

You can't. You're going to have to choose. 

Unless you are a rich and pampered honey who has nothing better to do that all the above-listed tasks, or your full-time paid job is as a health guru, you have to choose. 

So, the trick is, do at least one thing each day that is to your benefit. If you've got time for two, go ahead, but really just pat yourself on the back for making time for that one. I'd love to be able to do all those things every day, but no matter how early I get up (which robs me of precious sleep), it can't all be done.

But knowing I've done at least one good thing for my own health is a certain quiet satisfaction that keeps a little light burning in my soul. 

In Hebrew, it's called ner tamid..."eternal light". 

There's a rumor that Francis Ford Coppola kept a sign on his trailer that read "Fast, Cheap or Good--Pick Two". It makes sense, but know that your choice need only be one, and know that your choices will accumulate to your ultimate benefit. 

I met the guy once. He was super cool. 

Was this a random post? 

Indeed, 
Dani




1 comment:

  1. One Fall my sister was going to London for a week (poor thing) and asked me to house sit. Not for the dog or the plants, but for her 'mother'. Yes, I kombucha sat for the week! And yes, while I was there the dog was fed and the plants were watered and no, I didn't kill the mother. It was a fascinating experience, but not one I will likely repeat. I will choose something else from the list each day ;)

    ReplyDelete