Friday, January 11, 2013

Day 241-Out of Eden

Yesterday, I read one of the coolest things ever. 

Ever. 

Paul Salopek, a 50-year old journalist, is embarking on a journey to retrace the path of human civilization. It will take him seven years. And he's doing it on foot. 

Now that's a long walk.

It is a 21,000-mile (34,000-kilometer) journey that crosses 30 borders and dozens of languages and ethnic groups. The only thing he's doing that's not walking is taking passage from Russia to Alaska on a boat. 

I'd like to see you swim the Bering Strait. I'd opt for the boat, too. Remember, there used to be an ice bridge there, but it ain't there no mo'.

National Geographic is one of his sponsors, and will be reporting on his journey over the next seven years. If you don't have a subscription yet, now is the time to get one. 

How very fascinating!

Paul Salopek
photo credit: Becky Hale, National Geographic



Even more so, he's not taking too much with him, only a backpack with a lightweight laptop and small GPS device--something Early Humans lacked, and probably for the better. 

He left from Herto Bouri, a village in Ethiopia's Middle Awash Valley, which has the longest and most continuous record of human evolution of any place on Earth. Though he's using the past as a road map, Salopek wants to report on current global stories at a slower pace and from a different perspective than they are usually covered.

That's what a walk does for you. Gives you a different perspective, no matter where you are. 

Let's all give a big "Huzzah" to Mr. Salopek. Frankly, I'm a little jealous, but also intrigued and excited to learn how it all pans out. 

I wonder what sort of shoes he's wearing?

Reach, 
Dani


1 comment:

  1. I wonder about his shoes too, and I want to go with him! Sigh, if I could take my daughter and her family too I would. In a hot second. Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard about this.

    ReplyDelete