Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Day 260-Coyote Sandwiches

As you may know, I'm moving to Montana in the next 5 or 6 months. Different geography, climate, people--you name it, it'll be different. And I'm excited for that. I'm ready to go. But I can't go yet, so I'm using my time when I'm out and about to drink in as many details as I can, because I know someday, I'll miss them. 

Today's walk was in the dark, with our ever-present drizzle falling on my face as a lone coyote cried far away. I'm glad he was far away. Yesterday, I had to wait until it got light to walk, because the pack of howling coyotes was so large and so close to my house that I felt it irresponsible to myself and my dogs to go out. 

Granted, we have coyotes in Montana, but they are the lone scrappy, skinny variety that work hard for their meals and wind up with their carcasses hung on ranchers' fence posts a lot. 

Kitties! I Want More Kitties!!!

Here on beautiful Bainbridge Island, the coyotes are abundant, apparently bred with some robust German shepherds. Large and unafraid, they are often close to my home, running up the street and triangulating for their hunts in the field behind our house. Their prosperity is attested to by the overwhelming number of "Mr.Whiskers-Come-Home" posters that pepper our island's telephone poles.

I'm just out there trying to enjoy every sandwich. I don't always, though. Especially when the sandwich sucks. Yesterday, I was eating a horrible sandwich, and crying in my red wine about it. Stupid sucky sandwich. How can I enjoy a stupid sucky sandwich?

And then a long-distance phone call from Montana happened. The Huz, in all his huz-ness, reminded me that this wasn't the only sandwich I would every eat. It was a temporary sandwich. Sure, it was sour, rotten and tough, but it would soon be gone and another sandwich would spring up in it's place. 

I still didn't enjoy it, but knowing it wasn't my only sandwich ever helped me feel better. Stupid sandwich, awesome husband. 

Even if you walk the same route daily, you can still enjoy the little things, still notice something new. Drink it in. 

Munch, munch, 
Dani
 

4 comments:

  1. Dani, so right, so true. I am missing those little details of our island home and knowing that your imminent move seals the deal on OUR move more than ever. Hard to think of coming back with you guys gone. Thanks for a beautiful piece of writing and wisdom. - TJH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't imagine you here without us, just as I can't imagine us here without you---hence, we're blowing this soda pop stand! Miss you. XO

      Delete
  2. Nice writing and a good lesson, my sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete