Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 25---In honor of the 25-percent...of bones of your body that reside below the ankle.

Remember yesterday? When I went on about how I want you to start thinking about your feet, and their lost dexterity, and the rampant neglect we're all guilty of, and how they matter so very much to your entire well-being? 

I wasn't drunk. I really meant it. 

Change the health of your feet (and I'm NOT talking pedicures, here) and you can change the health of your hips. Your pelvis. Your spine. Your bones. 

I'm SOOOO Happy You Took Care of the FEET!
That's all pretty important stuff. 

How would your car fare if you drove around on four flat tires all day, every day? Well, I guess you'd use more gas, since the tires wouldn't really be rolling over the road surface. Then, the wheels would wear down and begin to wear unevenly, which would start to throw them out of alignment. Then, the axle bearings, being thrown out of alignment, would wear out and need to be....oh, blah blah blah! Put in the terms of your body, it means bunions, hip replacements, knee replacements---wait! This is starting to make sense.

Why am I shaking an annoyingly pedantic fist at you? 

Because I care. I've been lucky enough to spend almost my entire life, since the age of 14, in "sensible" shoes. However, that still didn't eliminate foot and structure problems, because I didn't know enough. I know more, now, and I want to share it with you so you feel better, too. 

Okay, I've climbed down now. Today's walk happened after a lazy morning of hitting some fairly lame garage sales...
Apparently, people in Poulsbo think my toe shoes are funny...
when I got to take my little family to my new favorite walking park. Sadly, it was seriously boggy due to the monsoon rains that have hit here this last week. 
We had fun, though, and got our daily does of fresh air. 
 And salmon berries...




My toe shoes came away with mud between them, which I secretly find super cool. Walking in them really helps with the connection between me and the ground, so I slip a lot less than if I was in hikers or tennies. 

More next week on loving your feet, and learning the first few steps in changing the health of those tootsies foh-evuh!!


I'll see you tomorrow with some drivel or a silly poem. I'm heading to Sequim to take advantage of a class on pelvic floor health taught by none other than Katy Bowman, the head of the Restorative Exercise Institute and the reason I'm so psyched about your feet. 


Ciao, Bellas, 
Dani




 

No comments:

Post a Comment