Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day 40. Day 40!

Hello Walkers and Readers, 

Today is 40 days of Walk the Year. Mind you, that's not just 40 days of walking every single day, which feels amazing. It's also 40 days of writing in a row. Both of these accomplishments have never before been achieved by me. 

The magic of walking every day, according to Henry David Thoreau, produces so much more than good health and physical well-being:

But the walking of which I speak has nothing in it akin to taking exercise, as it is called, as the sick take medicine at stated hours--as the swinging of dumb-bells or chairs; but is itself the enterprise and adventure of the day. If you would get exercise, go in search of the springs of life. Think of a man's swinging dumbbells for his health, when those springs are bubbling up in far-off pastures unsought by him!

Moreover, you must walk like a camel, which is said to be the only beast which ruminates when walking. When a traveler asked Wordsworth's servant to show him her master's study, she answered, "Here is his library, but his study is out of doors."
Henry David Thoreau 1817-1862


So, walking has made my legs stronger, my pants fit better, my lungs clearer, and my pelvis more aligned (trust me, we all want this. Think of where your pelvis is in relation to the rest of your skeleton. If it's out of whack--and it probably is if you're not walking daily and sitting for more than 30 minutes--then everything falls out of order.), and I just FEEL better. 

But when I walk, I also ruminate, and come home and write this blog. It's opened up my reality to getting back to work on unfinished books, and opened up my mind to greater possibilities within. 

Aloha, 
Dani
 


No comments:

Post a Comment