Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 39- Walk Like an Egyptian

" Everything is within walking distance if you have the time."
—Stephen Wright (1955—)

Today, we're heading into to the big city to see the Tutankhamun exhibit. I'm super excited! When I was 8, my parents traveled all the way from podunk Lewistown, Montana, to see the exhibit in Seattle when it came through the first time. We kids had to stay at home, but I poured over the booklets and pamphlets they brought back, determining that being an Egyptologist was the coolest gig ever. 

I didn't go that way, as you know, which probably helped me avoid all sorts of curses and flesh-eating scarabs. 

Whew. 

Last night, in my SuperGeek fashion, I was doing a little pre-exhibit research in some library books, and I learned that the young Tut had images of his enemies and captives inscribed into his leather sandals, so that he could squash his foes with every step. 

That's a little unhealthy, I guess. HOWEVER, I was looking at his sandals, and that is some REALLY healthy footwear! Check it out: flat bottoms, neutral heel, wiggle room for toes to move, bend, be fully functional, and straps to hold the suckers on so his toes didn't have to grip with each step. 


Way to go, my man! 

I mean, my boy king!

However, it's likely he spent a lot of time on his tuchus, being carried in a litter or perched on his throne, handing down edicts and popping dates into his royal pie-hole.

But...

how did we get places way back in ancient Egypt, if we were not royalty and carried in a litter? Scooter? Bike? Drive the ancient Prius to Giza?

Um, no. We walked. Yeah, yeah, maybe we camel-hopped if we could, but walking was the primary source of locomotion for human beings. In fact, it's built right in! You can go anywhere, walking. 

Think about how much you walk now, compared to how much your past-life Egyptian counterpart walked. Think about how much Laura Ingalls Wilder walked with how much you walk. Think about how much Abraham Lincoln walked. Think about...okay, it's even annoying me, but we truly are giving up the way we were designed to move around the earth. 

Forsaking it, if you will. 

Eeesh!

Today, you do not need to carve those whom you wish to smite into your shoes. However, a good walk will clear your mind, open your lungs, help your skeleton jiggle into alignment, and improve your overall well-being. You can either wander, or you can use your tool to go from one place to another. 

Just walk just like an Egyptian.

Quail ChickArmLionBasket(Walk!), 

HandArmWaterReed Leaf(Dani)




No comments:

Post a Comment