Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 27-But they make my butt stick out all cute-like!



I've always been a flat, wide-toed-shoe wearing gal. I actually do not have wide feet, but I enjoy a big toe box, or no toe box, for my tootsies to move around in. There was a brief period in my life when I had to wear heels for work, but it was short, thank the stars!

This was not the job:


But I bet she's not allowed to wear Birkenstocks while working. 

Anyway, I've worn comfy, neutral-heel shoes almost my entire life. I always liked to be comfortable, but I also always knew that heels weren't good for the human body. 

Which blows my mind why we think these are healthy:

Now hold on. Before you climb up a pole, scissor your legs, toss your hair and get mad at me, my Dansko-wearing friends, please listen: I have Dansko clogs. I wear them when I cannot get away with these:
These look like they have a heel, but actually don't once you thermo-mold them to your paws. It's cool.
Or these:
I try to get away with them as often as I can, but the culture we live in doesn't let me wear them with this:

Okay, those of you who know me know that I would totally never wear this, but you get my point. 


But here's the rub, and thanks to my fabulous teacher for putting it so well: Those clogs are not healthy. They are comfortable, but not healthy. 


Follow? 


Let me illustrate further: 
There's comfort here, but... eh? Not so healthy.

A clog is still a heel that is still pushing you out of alignment. I know not everybody's going to wear my freaky monkey-toe shoes and pad around in flip-flops in 40-degree weather. I know. 

What I want for you to think about is how much are you wearing those heels? 
Want to see what happens to your body when you wear them? 


Image: copyright Restorative Exercise, Inc.
Image sourced from Every Woman’s Guide to Foot Pain Relief
Look at the pelvis, lower back and ribs when she tries to correct for the heels. 


Frickin' ow!


Current events in foot hatred:
Ohhhh. Owwww......!!! STOP!!

I'd tell you you look hot, Baby, but you just look ridiculous...


I am currently enjoying reading "Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief" by Katy Bowman, as part of my Restorative Exercise schooling, and when I first picked it up I thought "Huh, she's preaching to the choir with me! I always wear comfy shoes!" 


Sometimes, I'm not as smart as I think. 


Actually most of the time. 


Could I teach you more about this, because it matters? The book is terrific. You would do well to check it out. I think every woman who feels like she should wear heels should read it. If you're a man who wears heels, no judgment here, Buddy, but you should know that you're throwing your alignment out of whack every single day. Go back to the car metaphor. What happens when your tires are out of alignment? They wear down funny, blow out and then the rest of the car compensates until it breaks down. 


Why are you any different?


I care about your well-being, and I want you to be a well being. 


Talk soon, Kitten, 
Dani



4 comments:

  1. http://immune4me.blogspot.com/2012/08/fivefingers.html

    Any hints on starting out with the fivefingers? (And yes, I have my own pair of Danskos in the closet for rainy days and jeans.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expect to have tired feet at first---your foot muscles aren't used to working. Try and be off pavement as much as possible, so you can really feel the benefit of allowing your toes to grip and move freely.

      Delete
  2. And then I did what I also always do...my best catwalk strut up and down the isle of the dressing room, convincing myself and my friends that they are "totally wearable."
    ________________
    Look Taller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wearable, sure! Healthy? No way! We frown on the foot-binding practices of old Asia, but ours is not so different.

    ReplyDelete